Making a decision between implementing an ERP system or Best of Breed system is never an easy decision to make. There are several factors to consider when trying to decide what is best for your company.
First off, in case you don’t know, Best of Breed software is simply the best product in its class. Often comprised of the best modules from various vendors, Best of Breed incorporate many different functions and features.
To position you and your team for success, here are the top five things you should do prior to starting your implementation:
1. Cost – Integrated ERP software often comes with a hefty upfront price tag. There is often the need for customization and this can really add to the bottom line. Best of Breed systems can be less expensive, however costs can add up quickly when talking about additional features and functionality which your organization many not even need. Highly touted Best of Breed systems may pose a potential for overlap in functionality. In other words, don’t overpay for systems which you won’t be utilizing just because it’s highly touted. An experienced ERP consultant can help you make those determinations.
2. Implementation – The ERP software selection and implementation process should be a factor in determining which direction is best for your organization. You can implement Best of Breed to address specific business processes that might be in immediate need of help. Best of Breed ERP systems encompass a variety of specialized functions from a variety of specialized vendors, all of which need to be integrated. Implementing any new ERP system is a major endeavor which requires time and cost.
3. Versatility – Are you looking for a cloud-based solution? There’s a Best of Breed option for you. Are you looking to expand into new territories fairly quickly? Then Best of Breed may be for you. Of course ERP software offers versatility as well, the functionality isn’t quite like Best of Breed so you should truly understand your long-term and short-term needs before deciding between the two.
4. Ease of Use – Ease of system use is something else to consider. Best of Breed systems focus on specific areas of business, which can be extremely helpful, however, specialization can also require further staff training or learning many nuances of the solution. Day to day, Best of Breed can also make it easier for your organization to manage work orders, satisfy customer needs, improve internal processes and increase efficiency overall. ERP software comes in a fully integrated approach, which can also be a solution for your organization’s need for a digital transformation.
5. The Best Fit – It’s important to consider which model will fit best with your company and both its long-term and short-term needs. Be sure not to get too caught up in trends or thinking about what worked well in another organization like yours. Your organization will have its own individual needs, budget and dedicated staff hours that all need to be considered. Should you find that Best of Breed is a good fit for your organization then it’s important to go through all of its features and benefits with your independent ERP Consultant before starting implementation.