Tier II ERP systems are not hard to find. In fact, there is an abundance of them in the market place. The question is, which one will work best for your manufacturing enterprise? And how do you go about narrowing down your options?
While each manufacturer has unique processes and products, there are common aspects across the industry which ERP systems can address. Epicor, Plex, and QAD are three of the most prevalent manufacturing ERP systems in the market. Below, is a breakdown of the top three pros and cons of each software.
- A flexible, advanced materials planning suite
- The Social Enterprise feature automatically notifies you about transactions against data entities you “follow”
- A powerful configurator for optimal business process management (BPM)
- Upgrades can be complex and drawn out
- Cloud computing is not supported across all features
- Epicor’s native CRM has limited capability
- Complete machine integration
- Low costs and high scalability
- Very strong in discreet manufacturing
- Addresses a limited number of verticals within manufacturing
- Only offered as a cloud solution
- Software does not prove a robust area for collaboration between coworkers
- Support of regulatory changes within industries
- Web based supplier portal streamlines purchasing and materials processes
- Robust financial module
- The user interface is basic and can be unpleasant to navigate
- Limited BPM solutions
- The complexity of QAD can be considered out of scope for smaller enterprise
Remember there is no one size fits all approach when it comes to ERP. Every software will have its own pros and cons list. Finding the one that best your company’s unique requirements should be the main objective. An ERP software selection expert can help you sort through your requirements, find the vendors that meet them and put your enterprise on the path to sustainable growth.
For more information, make sure to check out our white paper, Ten Tips for a Successful ERP Implementation.
Written by Kiersten Williams, Business Analyst at Panorama Consulting Solutions.