In this data-driven culture of ours, cyber-crime is all too common and ERP systems are not immune. ERP systems can be attacked from outside the organization as well as inside, and these inside jobs are the easiest ones to overlook. Operating as an authorized user, an employee can obtain access to a storehouse of valuable and sensitive information.
The only way to help prevent this is to augment the security features built into your ERP system – features that may have become inadequate due to shifting market priorities. Heightened competition has influenced ERP vendors to bundle functionality and provide value to customers, which has caused an increase in the number of authorized users per system. This means more users have access to your sensitive data.
Many organizations agree that current ERP security features fall short of amazing. Following are several ways organizations can augment this security to protect their ERP systems from inside attacks:
- Screen potential hires by calling former employers
- Keep security guards up-to-date on personnel changes so former employees are not mistakenly given access to your ERP system
- Set up access restrictions with role-based IDs and passwords that are changed on a regular basis
- Configure your ERP system to maintain audit logs that identify irregular transactions
- Design internal controls at the beginning of your ERP implementation
- Hire an independent ERP consultant to identify potential entry points you might have overlooked
The data encryption and firewalls offered by ERP systems are useful in the sense that they keep outsiders from accessing sensitive information and generating harmful transactions, but sometimes, the real business and financial risk comes from inside an organization’s own walls.
Below is a video about security risks specific to the Oracle E-Business Suite:
[youtube id=”vnGM9quwJpQ” width=”600″ height=”350″]
Be sure to visit our ERP Implementation page to find out how we help organizations implement ERP systems with strong internal controls that do not entail high costs and extended maintenance time.