“We make process manufacturing ERP software that meets the unique needs of pharmaceuticals, sealants, adhesives, chemicals, cosmetics, lubricants, food, beverage, pharmaceuticals, paints and coatings and nutraceuticals.”
Does this sound familiar? If your organization is a food processor or distributor, your unique needs are not the same as other sectors that fall into the process manufacturing bucket. You don’t want ERP software that’s one-size-fits-all. You want and need an ERP system, that truly meets your organization’s specific requirements on a day-to-day level of operations in the plant and/or warehouse.
Following are five unique needs specific to different types of food processors and distributors:
- If you work in meat or seafood processing you need ERP software that accommodates a high number of processing steps and unique issues such as catch weight and variance in raw materials (cuts, by-products). When you sell by discrete units, such as cases, but your prices and costs are by weight of each case, inventory management and sales profitability can get complicated.
- If you are a grower, freshpack or cannery business you require ERP software that supports lot tracking processes that comply with the Product Traceability Initiative (PTI). You also need software that includes grower accounting and production processes that support co-products useful for product grading and for repack operations.
- If you distribute or make fresh, frozen or par-bake baked goods you have specific issues such as a potentially shorter shelf life (for fresh bakeries), recipe/batch management, as well as demand forecasting and dynamic route management in the case of DSD (direct-to-store delivery).
- If you are a private-label food processor or co-packer you need an ERP system that can handle frequent reformulations to bring new food products to market quickly, with easy scale-ups to take the guesswork out of recipe management.
- If you are a processor or distributor in any food segment then food safety is likely at the front of your mind. You need ERP software with full traceability and recall functionality. Every single food product and food ingredient must be quickly and easily tracked forward and backward from processing through packaging, warehousing, transporting and shelving. Keeping up with changing food safety regulations is critical. Implementing food industry software helps your organization comply with BRC, HAACP, GFSI, SQF, FSSC, FDA and other standards.
One-size-fits-all process manufacturing software is not a good fit for food processors or food distributors. This is something to keep in mind as your organization assesses ERP vendors and implementation partners – look under the hood for industry-specific functionality built for food companies by experts in both the software industry and the food industry.
JustFoodERP delivers software and services for the food industry. Their trusted food experts help your company lower costs, improve food safety, and manage compliance to keep customers successful.
Note: The inclusion of guest posts on the Panorama website does not imply endorsement of any specific product or service. Panorama is, and always will remain, completely independent and vendor-neutral. If you are interested in guest blogging opportunities, click to read more about our submission guidelines.