After implementing an ERP system across several aerospace and defense (A&D) manufacturing plants, this global organization found its end-users were struggling with both technical usage and business process standardization related to the system. Employees throughout the company were continuing to rely on workarounds, such as Excel and AS/400, and had developed their own ways of using (or not using) the system. As the organization considered an upgrade to the latest version of its enterprise solution, it was struggling with bettering its project management governance at the executive level as well as it overall organizational change management and ERP benefits realization initiatives.
- Lack of executive and stakeholder alignment
- Lack of business process standardization and oversight
- Lack of true business benefit realization from ERP software
- Lack of effective project governance structure
The organization chose Panorama because of our expertise in both the old and new versions of the ERP software, our keen focus on organizational change management and benefits realization and our extensive experience in both global manufacturing environments and the aerospace and defense vertical. Panorama devoted two organizational change management experts to the account, who conducted extensive on-site and video interviews with end-users in different functional areas, plant GMs and the executive leadership team. These highly strategic interviews provided the information necessary to analyze the situation and determine the best path forward.
- Assessed employee usage / non-usage of the system, including workarounds, customization and pain points via on-site focus groups and one-on-one interviews
- Assessed past organizational change management initiatives at the organization, including training (for new hires and existing staff members), communication and end-user buy-in strategies and tactics
- Assessed executive leadership team, including its overall structure and project governance framework, via one-on-one video interviews
- Provided a complete written analysis of the organization’s current state and key recommendations (with timeline) of steps to take to reach its desired state
- Presented and discussed analysis and findings with executive leadership at several key milestones throughout the project
Measurable Business Results
The Panorama Consulting team provided the organization with the analysis necessary to make a determination of whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of the ERP software. Our work also laid out in granular detail changes that needed to occur from the executive level down to the shop floor in order to achieve ERP implementation success and business process improvement / standardization.
Highlights of Results
- At the recommendation of Panorama, the organization determined that in order to achieve the most ERP ROI, it must address internal organizational issues prior to implementing the upgraded software.